If you are either a starter or even serious about cooking meat of any kind, then it is better for you to get one of the ThermoPro Meat thermometers. Since the prices are relatively affordable, you can start using these thermometers and get to know how they function and once you get used to it, you can then decide if you want more expensive ones.
Below we will be reviewing and comparing ThermoPro meat thermometers along with other ones so that you have a better idea of what they are when you decide to buy one.
Click to jump straight to each topic:
- 1 Before that, here is a list of the different products we’ll be reviewing.
- 2 ThermoPro vs Maverick
- 3 ThermoPro TP-07 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
- 4 ThermoPro TP-08 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer Dual Probe
- 5 ThermoPro TP12 Wireless Digital Meat Thermometer for Grilling Oven Smoker BBQ Grill
- 6 ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer with Dual Probe
- 7 ThermoPro TP22 Digital Wireless Remote Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
- 8 Thermopro TP20 vs Thermopro TP8
- 9 Thermopro TP20 vs Thermopro TP07
- 10 Thermopro TP8 vs Thermopro TP12
- 11 Thermopro TP 20 vs Thermopro TP 22
- 12 A Few more ThermoPro Thermometer reviews below
- 13 ThermoPro TP17 Dual Probe Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer
- 14 ThermoPro+ TP18 Digital Food Cooking Thermocouple Thermometer
- 15 ThermoPro TP09 – Digital Smoker Grill Food Wireless Cooking Thermometer
- 16 ThermoPro TP06S Digital Grill Meat Thermometer
- 17 ThermoPro TP-16 Large LCD Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
- 18 ThermoPro TP03A Digital Food Cooking Thermometer Instant Read Meat
- 19 Conclusion
Before that, here is a list of the different products we’ll be reviewing.
|ThermoPro TP-07||6.5 x 2.6 x 6.1||8.3 ounces|
|ThermoPro TP-08||6.5 x 2.6 x 6.1||12 ounces|
|ThermoPro TP12||6.4 x 2.4 x 5.9||9.6 ounces|
|ThermoPro TP20||6.4 x 2.4 x 5.9||12 ounces|
|ThermoPro TP22||5.7 x 5 x 2.4||9.6 ounces|
|ThermoPro TP17||3.2 x 0.8 x 3.2||4.5 ounces|
|ThermoPro+ TP18||7.8 x 1.9 x 1.8||4.2 ounces|
|ThermoPro TP09||6.6 x 2.8 x 5.7||0.32 ounces|
|ThermoPro TP06S||5.6 x 1.8 x 4||5.9 ounces|
|ThermoPro TP-16||2.2 x 0.6 x 1.5||4.6 ounces|
|ThermoPro TP03A||6.1 x 1.3 x 1.6||2.4 ounces|
When it comes down to grilling or barbecuing, then you wouldn’t want your meat to be overcooked, since the latter would lack taste in addition of being rough and chewy. However you won’t want to take if off your grill to soon either since that can lead to many future problems as the consumption of undercooked meat is bad for health. Choosing the right thermometer for you is going to be tricky between those two even though there are hundreds of options out there. So how to choose between the maverick and the ThermoPro, which one is the best for you?
It will ultimately boil down to personal preferences for everyone and if you are a starter in grilling or has some experience under your belt. To make you choice easier, we’ll be reviewing and comparing them below.
ThermoPro is one of the top names out there when choosing to get a grill thermometer. The best thing about ThermoPro is that, whether you are a novice or a new griller or even have been at it for years, it is one of the most practical and easiest thermometers to use, in addition of being one of the most popular. When you are considering to buy a digital thermometer such as ThermoPro, you need to make sure that when cooking it will provide you aid in ensuring that the meat you are grilling is not overcooked or under cooked.
Some users will prefer the features of the ThermoPro since it is wireless meaning you won’t have to stay in front of the grill when preparing your meat. The device which comes in many models is really easy to use.
The Advantages you will get with Thermopro:
- It is easy to monitor the temperature of more than one cut of meat at a time since it usually comes with a dual probe.
- Another great feature is that there is a setting for different types of meat which will let you know if one is ready and if the other one requires more cooking. (when using the dual probe)
- If you don’t want to use the suggested temperature settings then it is possible to set yours manually. It will let you know the same way that it is cooked once it reach the inputted temperature.
- If you’d rather measure by cooking time, then the ThermoPro also has preset timers as well as count up and down timers.
- It is also very resistant and will not get damaged in high heats while featuring an LCD backlight as well as including a rubber case sleeve.
As mentioned, there are various models out there but the reason why many people has chosen and are still choosing the Maverick is mostly because of its wireless capabilities.
Even though they are battery powered, it is possible to connect them to other devices such are smart phones and so on. Once it is connected, you can just simply set it from your phone and check the temperature via the screen while doing other things which is much better than sitting in front of the grill or stove.
The Advantages you will get with the Maverick:
- Being wireless, it is possible to monitor the temperature from about 300 feet away.
- It is possible to program different types of meat temperatures and the LCD will flash and beep once it is reached
- Just like the ThermoPro, it has a count up and down timer.
- It can resists to high temperatures so will not melt or anything of the sort (max 575 degrees F).
- With the LCD backlight, it is not a problem when grilling outdoor in poorly lit areas.
For the Maverick, the price will be a little lower since you won’t have additional customizable features that the ThermoPro has. If you are just starting and don’t want to spend a lot on thermometer, then the latter might be the best bet for you. However for both of these brands you can find them for under $100 which is pretty affordable. Now there are those who will desire the one which have the most customizable options and between the ThermoPro and the maverick, the ThermoPro is the one to go in terms of customization options. However if you only want something easy and error free, then the maverick is the way to since those are its base qualities.
Whatever one has over the other, it will come down to your personal preferences when you decide to shop for your new digital thermometer. One thing to remember though is that it is better to compare the top models of each of the two brands before deciding whether to buy one or not.
We’ll now start reviewing some of the top models of the Thermopro brand below:
ThermoPro TP-07 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
The ThermoPro TP07 is ideal for people who want to monitor temperature of their meat cuts without getting into direct contact with it. As with most Thermopro models, the TP07 is wireless and makes it possible for you to check the temperature of the meat from a maximum distance of 300 feet. As such you won’t need to go back and forth to the grill or kitchen repeatedly if it is attached to it. In addition to that, you can set the desired temperature you want for special meat recipes and it will beep once it reach that level. First time cookers will also find it easy and convenient to use. In addition to all of that, no synchronizing needs to be done between the receiver and the transmitter since it is already done by the company. The only thing you’ll have to do is to insert the batteries and it is ready to be used.
- It can withstand high degrees of temperatures and not melt
- Receiver and transmitter are already synchronized, so no hassle for you
- Already programmed for different types of meat
- The price being below $40 is affordable
- Possible to reprogram the temperature presets to meet your needs and cooking style
- The quality of the probe is inconsistent with some of them fragile
- After repeated cooking at high temperatures, screen can start malfunctioning
- Once a temperature has been reached, the display will not change and beep, making it bad for constant temperature cooking for long hours.
ThermoPro TP-08 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer Dual Probe
The ThermoPro TP-08 is a wireless dual-probe remote digital thermometer. Its meat probe is about 15 cm long. Although it can be exposed to high level of temperatures, it should not be above 300 degrees Celsius when submerged. The display will toggle back and forth between the temperatures of the two proves, displaying in either Celsius or Fahrenheit. The display has no backlight either. The receiver will also simultaneously show both the cooker and the food temperature.
While in time mode, both the thermometer and the probe alarm works. Most of the temperatures are set by the user and once the temperature is reaches, the alarm will flash with an alarm sound. Like most Thermopro thermometers, the timer can operate in an up or down counter.
- Can hold up temperatures up to 300 degrees Celsius maximum
- The alarm is loud enough to be audible
- It has a count up and count down timer
- Temperature can be manually input
- Display has no backlight
- Most temperature has to be set manually
- If connection is lost, dashes are shown instead of last known temperature
ThermoPro TP12 Wireless Digital Meat Thermometer for Grilling Oven Smoker BBQ Grill
The Thermopro thermometer TP12 comes with a probe wire which can withstand temperatures up to 716 degrees Fahrenheit. It is also ideal to check various types of food temperatures at the same time. Due to its step-down design, it is perfect for temperature smoking as you only need to insert the probe into your meat cut and just wait for the results. As such, it is possible to do other activities while your food is getting ready. Most type of cooking will give accurate reading as it has a wide temperature range. The latter will give you peace of mind when smoking other types of meat or even turkey. As with most Thermopro thermometers, it also has a receiver, timer and alarms as well are many other important features that will make your cooking process easier. You won’t even have to stay put and keep a watch onto the screen or display since once the food is ready, instantly you’ll get a sound alert which will be accompanies by screen flashes and beeps.
- It has double probes
- It is also very flexible for use since it can be used for when smoker, other types of foods, meat, BBQ and in Oven
- The mesh cable is made up of high quality steel
- The design is also great which increases its efficiency
- Since its primary material is plastic, it can easily break
- The probe for BBQ and oven is shorter than that of other food
ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Remote Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer with Dual Probe
This thermometer is one of the latest models of the Thermopro brands so we expect a lot from it. As you may have guessed by now, it comes with a two-probe remote reading thermometer along with a timer function. Using a proprietary protocol, the base units and remote communicate via RF signals.So as to be protected against damage, both the sending and receiving units are enveloped in a rubber cover. Once turned on, they two will automatically establish the communication. The display will toggle temperatures of probe 1 and 2 back and forth and will also display the temperature in either ºF or ºC. There is however no backlight on the transmitter.
On the receiver, temperatures are simultaneously displayed. Alarm temperatures for each probe can be selected by the user depending on their preference. So as to facilitate mounting of the probe, there is a grill grate clip. Once the alarm threshold is reached, the backlight will illuminate and flash and a beeper will go off.
As you know by now, like most Thermopro thermometers, there is an up and down timer than run simultaneously along with the temperature alarm. The time is also displayed independently of the different temperatures. The instructions are also clear and easy to understand.
- Like most Thermoprothermometers, there is no synchronizing required since it is already done by the manufacturer
- The Large LCD display means that you don’t have to wince when checking the temperature or timer
- Backlight ideal if BBQ is done at night in not so well lit areas
- Probes are durable since they are made from stainless steel
- The probes can also withstand temperatures of up to 716°F
- A common feature of Thermopro thermometers which this one too has is the wireless function and being able to keep signal up to 300 feet away
- Already comes with preset temperatures for various kinds of meat and food (They can also be changed by the user.)
- Sometimes when using two probes, the reading in one will be slightly higher than the other one
- With repeated use on high temperatures, the difference can be worse and start malfunctioning
- Receiver is prone to losing contact in some situations
ThermoPro TP22 Digital Wireless Remote Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
The ThermoPro TP-22 is the latest of the ThermoPro models of thermometers and comes with a dual probe wireless thermometer. It also has a programmable temperature alarm feature. It is useful to remotely monitor the internal temperatures of two different meals as well as including a timer function. The maximum temperature it can withstand is just around 300ºC. The two probes it has are of 15 centimeters each. As with its predecessor, the transmitter unit will toggle between probe 1 and 2 back and forth on the display showing the temperature measurement of your choice, either Celsius or Fahrenheit. The transmitter also contains no backlight. So as to keep out moisture, the battery compartment has a sealing ring.
Both probes temperatures are shown simultaneously onto the receiver as well as the alarm settings of the latter. If a timer is being used, then it will be displayed over the line of the probe temperatures. Once the temperatures reaches the setting of the alarm, it will start flashing with the backlight illuminating. On the receiver, the temperature can be either in Fahrenheit or Celsius. There are also pre-programmed meat settings and temperatures or can be created by you according to your preference.
The quality in which the overall device is made is above average and it is very easy to use since it will provide all the basic information the user will need. The only downside might be in terms of lower temperature limits which will restrict its use for some users.
- With a range of 300 feet away, this wireless meat thermometer is very convenient.
- Allows to monitor two kinds of meat at the same time since it has two probes
- Made of solid material
- No synchronization is required between the transmitter and the receiver
- It has a count down and up feature which is great for long cooking times
- Temperatures for different kind of food can be reprogrammed according to user preferences.
- It has a rubber cover to prevent moisture
- Probes can have inconsistent temperature readings after some use
- It is sometimes difficult to distinguish probe 1 from 2 on the screen
- The quality of the thermometer itself is inconsistent
Now let’s see how they fare against each other and their differences.
Thermopro TP20 vs Thermopro TP8
The thing about those two Thermopro thermometers is that they are both long range dual probe and work with smokers, BBQ meat with some minor differences. In addition to that they are both digital wireless thermometers.
What they have in common is pretty obvious which is that both have remote function and wireless functionality. They can be used to get temperature of cooking meat, food, smokers, BBQ, grilling and so on. No synchronization is also required for both since it is already done by the manufacturer. Finally they both have digital functionality.
The differences between the two of them are they the TP20 is already preloaded in cooking temperatures which the TP08 doesn’t have. The TP20 has few more gadgets and meat time presets. While the TP20 has a high-temperature alarm, the TP08 has low temperature alarms. The other difference is that the TP08 is one of the best for smoking since it has low temperature alarms while the TP20 is not suited for smoking since it has only high temperature alarms.
The differences in terms of usability and Price
For temperature setting, the TP20 has up and down buttons. The TP08 temperature only goes up to 500, if you’ve missed your window to set it to another temperature, then you’ll need to go past 500 and then back to your desired threshold. TP08 also goes up 10 degrees/second.
In terms of price, there is a significant different between both of them, however the TP20 will compensate that in terms of more gadgets and functionality. Also people tend to favor the TP20 more than the TP08 since the former overall performs better and has better gadgets.
Thermopro TP20 vs Thermopro TP07
They both have the same wireless transmitter and receiver and are almost the same intypes. The main difference would be that the TP20 is a dual probe digital thermometer that allows twice the measurement which is to be expected if you are buying it at that price. Since you can use it as meat probe or even ambient it one of the most flexible thermometers on the market. Although they both use the same type of probe and if you don’t really need to measure 2 cut of meat at the same time, then for a much cheaper alternative, the TP07 is advisable. Since they both have the same working distance of about 300 feet away, if you base your preference on that, then you probably won’t find one that is better than the other. One of the main things that the TP07 offers which the TP20 doesn’t is the 3 colored back light systems. The latter, when the temperature is near its target will change the color as well as set the alarm off. In terms of the color settings, the TP07 would probably win hands down.
The Thermopro TP07 is a good alternative at a reasonable price if you don’t cook for large crowds. It can however prove to be a problem if you are used to having Bluetooth signals trouble with your smartphone. If you however have to cook for large crowds on a regular basis then for a little bit more of investment, you could probably have the Thermopro TP20 since it will offer you twice the capability of the TP07 minus the color settings. They are both rather convenient and the decision to get one over the other will ultimately boil down to the amount you are prepared to invest as well as your needs and preferences.
Thermopro TP8 vs Thermopro TP12
If you have used the tp08 before and didn’t like it then you should probably not buy the tp12 as well. The Thermopro TP12 is the same as the tp08 overall. The only difference is the design. I-tronics developed both of them with the same functionalities with the only difference being in the design, although you might be scratching your head to why make the same thing with two different names. Let’s say that you have a new beautiful kitchen and you don’t like the old Thermopro TP08 anymore since it doesn’t match, you will then find an alternative in the Thermopro TP12 which is beautifully designed. The latter like its predecessor has remote wireless functionality as well as the same features, meaning you won’t lose anything, but would rather get an upgrade on design.
Since both have same functionalities, you’ll be getting an accurate internal temperature of your meat cut each time along with an integrated timer. They also both have a 300 feet remote range meaning you can monitor your food while doing other things in the house or backyard. Both have the same alarm feature which will beep on it reaches the threshold you’ve set so even if you are far away from the kitchen and forget about it, you are bound to hear and remember that your food is now ready.
Since they’re both the same apart from the design, the choice will ultimately boil down to your personal preferences.
Before you can make your choice, let’s check the different features that both have, which are:
- Celsius/Fahrenheit selector
- Receiver counter top stand
- Ability to set manual temperature setting option
- Count up and down timer
- Alarm feature
- Timer and temperature settings are saved when unit is powered off
- Receiver will flash or beep when temperature goes above or below the set range
- Receiver will flash and beep when meat temperature goes above the programmed temperature
Thermopro TP 20 vs Thermopro TP 22
The Thermopro TP22 is the latest of the digital wireless meat smoker thermometer that i-tronics has made. While you may have problems with its predecessors (TP20 not included), you’ll have much more success with the TP22. The latter is perfect for temperature reading since it is accurate and also comes with a step-down probe tip with a sensitive sensor. Like the TP20 and other of the same brand, you can still be updated on the temperature of your cooking as long as you are from within 300 meters of it by mobile receiver. Both of the TP 20 and 22 are equipped with dual probes which means that it is possible to get a reading on two meat cuts or food at the same time. The probes can also be used to read meat temperature as well as the surrounding temperature around it.
The preset of approved temperatures by USDA for meat for them are:
- Ground Beef
- Ground Poultry
For the TP20, it is one of the best-selling digital thermometers on amazon and till now haven’t been knocked off by the TP22. The TP brings price and performance together and can do almost everythingthat the TP22 can. If you had to choose, you would probably opt for the TP20, however like most comparisons in the review, you’ll find that it will ultimately come down to the amount you are prepared to invest as well as your personal preferences.
A Few more ThermoPro Thermometer reviews below
ThermoPro TP17 Dual Probe Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer
A good basic dual-probe food thermometer with a count down and up timer function is what the ThermoPro TP-17 is. On the rear it has two switches for the temperature/timer as well as the scale temperature. The readings of both probe 1 and 2 are shown onto the display. They are both fully functional even though only one channel is displayed at a time. The timer can operate either in countdown or count up depending on your preferences. Once the timer reaches zero, you will hear the audible alarm sound and notice the flashing backlight.
There is also only an upper limit temperature settings on this unit. It is also possible to set your own values for meat and doneness, using the up and down buttons. Temperature alarms cannot be set in time mode but must rather be done in temperature mode. The probes are 15cm long each and the cables are mostly made up of stainless steel braid. In contrast to other models, the battery door of this one is not sealed against moisture.
- Makes it possible to monitor 2 meat cut at the same time with the dual probes
- Temperature can be adjusted manually
- Night cooking is possible with the backlight
- Can withstand temperature of up to 716°F
- As with most thermometers of the same brands, sometimes the two probes readings are not perfect
- Quality is inconsistent with dual probes not working after several uses.
ThermoPro+ TP18 Digital Food Cooking Thermocouple Thermometer
This thermometer has a sleek and futuristic design and it makes sure to get you almost real time changes in the temperature. The readings are usually gotten within 3 seconds. The latter also have large luminous numbers making it ideal for cooking at night. The touchscreen is also a big yes for this model which responds to the slightest touch. Although you can’t get the reading of two meat cuts at the same time, it is still one of the best looking models if you wish to implement it to your kitchen and cooking habits.
- Light, easy and convenient to use with its futuristic design
- Large luminous numbers gives an easy reading
- Temperature changes readings are almost given in real time
- Two cut of meats or foods temperature cannot be monitored at the same time
- After some time, some buttons become unresponsive
- Too light giving it a bad balance
ThermoPro TP09 – Digital Smoker Grill Food Wireless Cooking Thermometer
The latter is designed to measure food temperatures and alert the user when the intended temperature is reached and it also comes in single probe in addition of being a wireless remote thermometer. The thermometer will not stand by itself and thus has a belt clip to facilitate it carrying around. The receiver also has a built in LED flashlight. Two scales can be selected from Fahrenheit or Celsius. Its range it about 90 meters or roughly 300 feet. The latter is also not waterproof and under no circumstances should be used in the rain.
Since it is not made to be used as an oven thermometer, once it gets above 200 degrees Fahrenheit (93 degrees Celsius), its accuracy starts to fall off. Still, it is reasonably accurate at around 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
The temperature alarm can be either set manually or one can use the various preset alarm temperatures already included in it. A count up or count down can also be set of up to 24 hours which are usually counted in minute increments. Along with the temperature measuring function, the timer can also run simultaneously. The receiver and transmitter are not designed to be waterproof as since they are made of plastic, it doesn’t look like they are well suited to droppings. Still for the price it is sold, the features it has are pretty good.
- Temperature can be manually input
- Has a count up and down timer or up to 24 hours
- Can withstand a reasonable amount of heat
- LED flashlight is convenient to know when temperature inserted has been breached or reached
- Fragile since it is made up of plastic
- Not waterproof
- Cannot handle huge amount of heat
- Cannot stand by itself and has to be carried around
ThermoPro TP06S Digital Grill Meat Thermometer
This thermometer comes in a single channel and for the price it is sold, it provides of the best temperature accuracies. So as to be protected from outside damage, it is surround with a rubber shell. It is not advised to be used above temperatures of 200º F or 93º C since it is not designed to be used as an oven thermometer. The latter should also not be used in the rain since it is not waterproof.
As with most of ThermoPro thermometers, it has a count down and up timer. Once temperature rises, the display will slowly flash blue. What is most interest is that the blue will change to green when the temperature gets to within 15 degrees Fahrenheit of the intended tem so as to alert the cook that the meat is nearly done. The green will then turn to red with an alert sound once the target temperature is reached. The limit of the count down or up is 24 hours. An alarm will sound when time is out in count-down mode. The timer is ran in the background.
- It provides one of the best temperature accuracies
- Has both count-up and down timer
- Temperature can be manually set
- Three color function of blue, green and red is really helpful
- It is not waterproof
- Once temperature get past a certain level, it will start to be unreliable
ThermoPro TP-16 Large LCD Digital Cooking Food Meat Thermometer
Another one of the single channel food thermometer. Just like its predecessor, it is one of the best in terms of temperature accuracy. Just like the TP06, it is not advised to use it in the rain since the latter is not waterproof. Like most of ThermoPro thermometers, it has a counter timer. An audible alert or sound will be heard once the temperature hits the target or the timer hits zero.
Also a count-down timer of 24 hour (limit) can be set. An alarm will sound when time is out in the count-down mode. While monitoring food temperatures, the timer can run in the background. You must go back to timer mode to silence the alarm once the count-down timer expires.
For different type of meat as well as the desired degree of doneness, target temperatures can be selected. You can also alternatively select any temperature you desire. One of the things that can be irritating in its feature list is that the alarm cannot be silenced without letting it cooling, raising the target temperature or removing the probe.
Within the given range, the temperature accuracy is almost perfect and acceptable just above the limit. This probe, like nearly all food temperature probes cannot be put in dishwasher or submerged. Careful hand cleaning is required in order to prevent water from getting into it.
ThermoPro TP03A Digital Food Cooking Thermometer Instant Read Meat
This thermometer is very easy to use. It has a simple to fold probe design, the latter that is securely locked into its base which makes it idea to store or carry into one’s pocket.
It is designed with ease of use in mind since it is a very simple product to use. The thermometer works with simple AAA batteries which is easily set. Its pointed tip makes it easy to stick into meat or any kind of food, just unfold and stick the probe in it. With the pressing of only one button, it is possible to change temperature scale of either Celsius or Fahrenheit. The latter can be switched back at any point since the change is not permanent.
So as to save battery life, the thermometer with turn itself off after 10 minutes of not being used (inactivity). Like most probes, so as to avoid bacteria from contaminating other food, the probe need to be cleaned and wiped dry while taking additional measures not to let water into it.
Now that you have all the necessary info, differences as well as the comparison of all these great thermometers, it is easy for you to make a choice if you decide to get one. Even though we reviewed all of these, ultimately, the choice for you will boil down to your likes and preferences.