We are going to be going into all of the nitty gritty details on Green Mountain Grills. Let’s answer all the questions and reservations you have about purchasing a grill from the company. We will be taking a look at whether these are worth your money for how quality of a product they are, as well as the specifics of having a pellet grill as well.
In addition to those qualities, we will also be reviewing their price range and how it compares to other grills similar in quality, the aesthetics of the products, and their customer service. To assist in this, we will also be researching a lot of customer reviews to see what the general thoughts on these grills are.
What is Green Mountain Grills?
Click to jump straight to each topic:
Green Mountain Grills is a company that began about ten years ago. The founder of the business had a competitor’s grill at his house and decided that he could make some improvements for an even better product. Thus, Green Mountain Grills was born.
They, of course, specialize in pellet grills. This simply means that instead of using charcoal or gas, they use pellets to fuel the grill and cook your meat.
This company offers high quality grills, pellets, dry rubs, and sauces both online and at thousands of brick-and-mortar stores across the United States. Their website also offers a plethora of delicious recipes, and a very helpful blog with information and tips for barbecuing.
Here’s How it Works
If you have never used a pellet grill before, here is some insight into how the ones from Green Mountain Grills actually work.
There is a motor that turns the auger, which is feeding pellets directly into the grill’s firebox. In that firebox, there is a hot rod that is igniting the pellets automatically, and right below it, there is a combustion fan to keep it burning. There are vertical vents lining the firebox to create a circular air flow. The fan inside the Pellet Hopper maintains positive pressure, preventing any burn-back in the auger. When these two air flows collide, it creates a fantastic wood burning fire, which allows for a pure hardwood smoke flavor.
There is a heat shield that covers up the firebox, which distributes all the heat to both sides of the grill as well as pushing it up into the grill chamber. The sensor that is mounted inside of the grill will then send data to the internal computer ten times a second, then allowing the controller to adjust the air and pellet flow for the perfect temperature.
What Makes Green Mountain Grills Unique?
The most unique aspect of these grills is obviously the fact that they use wood pellets instead of charcoal or gasoline. Their pellets are made up of 1005 kiln dried sawdust that they state “never touches the floor.” They are held together with the natural lignins in the wood, and they do have several different kinds of pellets for sale as well. The Premium Gold Blend ones are oak based and much larger than the standard sized pellets.
The benefits to using these instead of charcoal or gas include very little ash after you’re done grilling, high BTU content for long burns, and a nice, natural hardwood smoky taste in your food.
Another aspect that is pretty special (although not completely unique to this company) is their Smart Control. Now that technology is a huge part of everything we do, having a grill connected to your phone is now a possibility. Green Mountain Grills has a mobile app, allowing you to adjust the temperature and stay connected to your cooking food even if you walk away for a few minutes. With the app you are able to set timers, control both the grill and food temperatures, create different cooking profiles, and even receive alerts about your grill. You are also given the option to connect to your wifi at home to do this or use server mode to access your grill while on the go.
The products have an excellent digital controller connected to them as well. These controls offer features like a low pellet alarm, which alerts you when you need to add additional fuel. It also has a hot start mode if the power fails, a food probe for safe temperatures, temperature control that ranges from 150 degrees up to 500, and an end-of-cook fan mode to cool your grill down and exhaust most of the ash from the firebox for cleaning purposes.
This first model is said to be the company’s bestselling grill. The Whether your choice is a Davy Crockett for traveling, a Daniel Boone for everyday usage, a Jim Bowie for a bigger gathering or the Big Pig Trailer Rig, we are sure that you won’t be disappointed. After all, Green Mountain Grills was set up by someone whose passion in life was grilling. They won’t disappoint. grill comes with a meat probe, a peaked lid for stand-up chicken/rib racks/large birds, a digital control, a convenience tray, hard rubber tires, and a venturi-style firebox. It also offers Sense-Mate (their thermal sensor) and a positive pressure hopper fan. The standard option of the grill weighs 152 pounds.
You are able to buy 3 different versions of the Daniel Boone as well, depending on your preferences. The cheapest option is the standard, black version without WiFi capabilities – this one will cost you about $$ brand new. If you want one with WiFi, the cost goes up to $$$, and it’ll cost $$$ if you want WiFi and to have it in stainless steel.
The Jim Bowie grill, which is considerably larger than the Daniel Boone, will cost you a little bit more.
This model includes everything that comes with the Daniel Boone design, with just a little more room. The grill has 640 square inches of cooking surface, and an inside clearance of 13.5 inches. It weighs 183 pounds.
The standard black version is the black version with WiFi and the stainless steel one with WiFi can be purchased on Amazon.
This grill is much smaller than the other two we just talked about. The Davy Crockett model is perfect for camping, tailgating, and small families to cook on. You can cook two racks of ribs or between 4-6 steaks or burgers all at once.
The Davy Crockett grill only comes in stainless steel and with Wifi.
Last but certainly not least we have the Big Pig Trailer Rig. From the name you can probably guess that this is the largest grill offered by Green Mountain Grills.
This product is for those of you that need to feed a lot of people. The grill would be perfect for huge cookout parties, catering jobs, or competitions. It can cook an entire hog, 150 steaks, 25 briskets, 65 chickens, 25 pork butts, or 200 hamburgers.
Of course, being the largest product offered, it is also the most expensive. This grill will cost you $7,999.00 brand new.
Public Perception (Other Green Mountain Grills Reviews)
Let’s take a look at what actual customers thought of Green Mountain Grills products. To make sure we have a good idea of all the good and bad aspects, we will separate the opinions into a positive and a negative section.
- The first aspect that was mentioned positively in a large number of reviews was the customer service that people experienced when dealing with Green Mountain Grills. Reviews stated that if there was any sort of issue or misunderstanding, the company immediately reached out and handled whatever had happened in a quick, polite manner. Overall, those who had to talk directly to an employee of the company were very, very pleased with the outcome.
- Another quality of the products that was mentioned frequently was the pricing – this refers both to the actual grills and the cost to actually use them. A lot of reviews online mentioned that it was infinitely cheaper to buy pellets for a grill than to use charcoal or gas every time they wanted to cook something. The price of the grills was also praised – a lot of customers mentioned that for the quality, the prices were much, much lower than expected.
- Something else brought up quite a few times in reviews was the versatility of the grills the company offered. Customers raved about the ease of using this for a smoker, grill, oven, etc. Having the option to cook so many different kinds of meat with the space and design offered was also a huge upside as well.
- Lastly, customers loved the options for using their phones to control the different features of the grill. Having the choice to set everything up and walk away, while still maintaining the perfect temperatures and features is a great quality to have in your grill.
- Now let’s take a look at the critical thoughts that customers had about the company and their products.
- One downside that customers mentioned was that if they bought the grill from the website or Amazon, they didn’t always show up in perfect condition. There were a few reviews complaining of dented hoods, augers not working, and other small mishaps that either had to be fixed by the customer or sent back to the company to repair.
- The most common complaint found on the reviews was about connecting to the WiFi. A decent amount of customers struggled with it at first, but were able to connect after several tries. They mentioned the app simply not being able to find their grill at all. A few reviews reported that they weren’t ever able to connect the app to the grill, making that feature useless for them. Part of this could just be user error, but it is something to consider when purchasing one with WiFi capabilities.
- The last negative aspect that was mentioned in several reviews was having inaccuracies with the temperature gauges. There were some reviews mentioning that there meat was extremely overdone or undercooked because the temperature they set the grill to wasn’t accurate. Now this could have just been a few faulty sensors, but it is important to keep in mind.
How it Compares
We took a look at Green Mountain Grills products against another very high quality, well-known company – Traeger.
Both companies are well respected in the world of pellet grills, and have been around for a long, long time. Looking at their products, a lot of the decision can be based on personal preference. Green Mountain Grills do offer a lot of different features, including WiFi, with most of their grills that makes them hard to pass up. If you want WiFi on a Traeger grill, you have to go with a more expensive model. The Traeger models do have more durability and mobility on their side however. Their legs provide a much better foundation for the grill than the ones that GMG has.
Overall, they both have great qualities and would both be a great choice for those that are wanting to try out pellet grills.
What We Think
If you are interested in getting involved in the world of pellet grills, this is definitely a company to keep an eye on. Their high quality products and five star customer service looks like it is definitely worth a try.
For people that grill outside regularly, camp, or just love the smoky taste of grilled meat – these products are for you. With the enhanced technology and hardwood smoky flavor, you can’t go wrong.
If you have a grill from Green Mountain Grills, what are your thoughts on them? Would you recommend them to others?