Maverick is a company that has steadily built a reputation for being the manufacturer of some of the most high quality and easy to use barbeque equipment. The Maverick ET-733 is their latest offering in the category of smoker thermometers and it has proven to be an instant hit with the customers who are loyal to the brand.
However, like every other product in the market, the Maverick ET-733 has some cons too which has led to some dissatisfaction among users. In spite of that, it is one of the top smoker thermometers recommended by professional chefs as well as backyard cooks.
The reason behind its popularity are its many features that make it a reliable, safe to use and a long lasting thermometer. Check out our review of the Maverick ET-733 below.
Overview and Top Features
The Maverick ET-733 is quite similar to any other wireless thermometer in its basic functioning. It is double probed thermometer which is connected to a transmitter to provide the temperature readings from inside the smoker. The following are its main features:
- The thermometer has a range of up to 300 meters which gives you sufficient room to move around the kitchen or backyard and complete other recipes.
- If you go out of range of the transmitter, you will get an immediate alert of loss of signal.
- The screen is sufficiently large and is backlit. It also shows more information as compared to the previous models such as the custom set alert temperature.
- The screen will automatically go off in 5 seconds which saves battery.
- There is an LCD alarm that will beep and flash when your smoker’s temperature crosses the custom set temperature limit.
- There are 15 pre-set settings for temperature depending on the type of meat you are putting on grill. However, you can also manually set the temperature according to your preference. There are also pre-set options for the degree of doneness you want.
What Do You Get in The Box?
The Maverick ET-733 does not come as a standalone thermometer but rather as a part of a package, much like a mobile phone does. You will the transmitter and receiver units, along with two probes that are put inside the smoker, two grill clips for holding the probes in place inside the smoker and 4 AAA batteries which are put into the transmitter and receiver units to fire them up.
What Does The Manufacturer Say About It?
If you want a look at the detailed technical specs of the Maverick ET-733, you can find them in the specifications provided by the manufacturer itself. This is what Maverick says about its product:
- Probe wires are 3 ft. long and are rated for max temperature of 716°F
- 15 Preset temperatures for Beef, Veal, Lamb, Pork, Chicken and Turkey, Deer, Elk, Moose, Buffalo, Rabbit, Boar, Duck, Bird & Fish
- Customize preset temperatures to personal taste
- Audio alarm alerts you when preset temperature is reached
- Loss of signal alert if you go out of range for more than a minute
- Large 300 ft. range
- The receiver will display 32°F to 572°F
- Dimensions: Receiver: 2.5 x 1 x 4.75 in, Transmitter: 2.5 x 1 x 4.75 in
Why We Like the Maverick ET-733?
There are a number of things to be liked about the Maverick ET-733 smoker thermometer. Read on to find out what are the best features of this thermometer.
Ease of Use
Every cook loves equipment that has an easy to understand functioning so that he can conveniently use it in the kitchen. With the ET-733, you can go for a pre-set temperature setting or manually set the high and low temperature limits for each individual probe. You even have an alarm that will go off if the smoker crosses the temperature limit. It is easy to understand and use which is one of the biggest plus points for this thermometer.
Check out this YouTube video to see how to turn on and program the Maverick ET-733.
A smoker temperature needs to be pretty accurate in giving the correct temperature readings otherwise it defeats its very purpose. The Maverick ET-733 has been quality tested to ensure that it gives as accurate a reading of the smoker temperature as possible. Moreover, it even gives accurate readings of the meat temperature too, provided that the probe is inserted properly into the meat.
Considering that the Maverick ET-733 is not an instant read thermometer, it does prove to be sufficiently fast. It may take a couple of minutes to give the correct temperature reading which works well when you are cooking large cuts of meat.
What Is Not So Great About It?
The Maverick ET-733 has some features that are not quite up to the mark as well. Although they do not pose a significant concern for most customers, it is still advisable to know of its cons before buying it:
- The Maverick Et-733 falls a bit short when it comes to the build quality. Customers have been known to report issues with the probes getting damaged too quickly, difficulty with on/off switch and lack of connection between the transmitter and receiver. There is a way around each of these problems. For example, the probes can be made long lasting simply by taking some care while washing and storing them and the connectivity problem can be solved by switching on the receiver before you switch on the transmitter.
- You will need a screwdriver to open the transmitter and receiver units to change the battery. Not a major drawback but can still be a hassle for some.
- The abundance of preset temperature settings also seems to irk some customers. However, in our opinion ‘too many features’ should not really be a drawback.
How to Use the Maverick ET-733?
If you have some idea about smoker thermometers, you would know that a double probed thermometer is typically used when smoking large meats like briskets. The Maverick ET-733 is also meant for measuring smoker temperatures when you are cooking a large meat which requires a slow grill over an extended period.
The probes should also be inserted in the smoker and the meat at the correct position and should be clipped on with the help of grill clips to keep them in place. Keep in mind that this is not a thermometer which will give you instant temperature readings.
So, make sure that you wait a couple of minutes to get accurate readings. It is advisable not to use the Maverick ET-733 while grilling smaller meats like chicken or fish for which an instant thermometer would be better suited.
The Maverick ET-732 Vs. The ET-733
You may be aware that the ET-733 was an upgraded model for Maverick’s earlier product called the ET-732. Although both the thermometers are pretty similar in their functioning, there are subtle improvements in the ET-733 which make it worth the extra $15-20 that you will have to shell out for it. Check out the differences between these two models:
- As compared to the ET-732, the ET-733 features a significantly larger screen which makes viewing the temperature readings much easier.
- Both the thermometers have two probes. However, while the ET-732 had dedicated grill and meat probes, the ET-733 has got hybrid probes so that you don’t have to remember which one to put in the meat and which one goes on the grill.
- Setting the temperature is much more convenient with the ET-733 as you have both up and down buttons. The ET-732 did not have a down button which meant that you had to go the whole round if you overstepped your setting.
- The Et-733 allows you to override the preset doneness setting which is a welcome upgrade as it allows you to customize the recipe.
Why You Should Buy the Maverick ET-733?
Whether you are buying a smoker thermometer for the first time or are looking for an upgrade to a much older model, the Maverick ET-733 is a smart choice. Once you understand its various settings and functioning, you will really appreciate how easy your task will become thanks to the thermometer’s accurate temperature readings and sharp display.
The ET-733 comes with a 90 days warranty from the manufacturer too. However, considering that it is a product from a reputed company, we are pretty sure that it will last several years of use provided you invest some time and effort in taking basic precautions in its storage and cleaning.
If you are swinging between whether to buy the ET-732 or the ET-733, our advice would be to go with the ET-733 with your eyes closed.
Where can you buy the Maverick ET-733?
The Maverick ET-733 is a pretty popular product and is easily available at any store that sells barbeque equipment. If you don’t want to buy it from a store, you always have the option of placing an order for it online through Amazon.
Apart from the basic package, you can also buy separate probes if you ever feel the need to replace the ones that came with the original product.
Last Updated on August 11, 2020 by Judith Fertig