Traeger is the pioneer manufacturer of pellet smokers. In 1984 Joe Traeger’s gas grill caught fire while he was cooking burning the all the chicken he was cooking. After this incident he decided to manufacture the Traeger Wood Pellet Grill with the same wood pellet technology his family has been using for their furnaces and stoves.
Traeger has been a reputable brand for giving you the best pellet grill and smokers in the market. Wherever you go, a lot of people will guarantee to invest out with this brand for the quality as known. But nonetheless, Traeger has a lot of models and it’s still quite difficult to choose given a different set of features and specifications into it. That is why in this product review we will help you decide on addressing this dilemma. Here are five of the top-rated Traeger smoker reviews available in the market.
Click to jump straight to each topic:
- Top 5 Traeger Smoker Reviews & Comparison Chart
- Best Traeger Smoker Reviews 2018
- 1. Traeger TFB42LZBC Grills Lil Tex Elite 22 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 2. Traeger TFB29LZA Grills Junior Elite Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 3. Traeger TFB65LZBC Grills Texas Elite 34 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 4. Traeger Grills Tailgater 20 Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 5. Traeger TFB29PLB Grills Bronson 20 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Why These 5 Are The Best Traeger Grill And Smoker?
- How to Choose the Best Pellet Smoker?
- Final Verdict
Top 5 Traeger Smoker Reviews & Comparison Chart
Here are the 5 best Traeger smoker grills reviews, compare classic & latest model:
|Model Name||Image||Price||Grilling space||Temp.||Weight|
|1. Traeger TFB42LZBC Grills||Check Price||418 sq||450||98 lbs|
|2. Traeger TFB29LZA Grills||Check Price||300 sq||450||60 lbs|
|3. Traeger TFB65LZBC Grills||Check Price||646 sq||450||150 lbs|
|4. Tailgater Portable Wood Pellet Grill||Check Price||300 sq||250||62.4 lbs|
|5. Traeger TFB29PLB Grills||Check Price||300 sq||450||77 lbs|
Best Traeger Smoker Reviews 2018
1. Traeger TFB42LZBC Grills Lil Tex Elite 22 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Convenient to Use
- Simple Assembly
- Flexibility to Numerous Applications
- Temperature Adjustable
- Heavy Duty
Weighing 98 pounds, this versatile wood pellet grill could be used into multiple applications including grill, smoke, bake, roast, and barbecue. It’s well-built heavily constructed from steel powdered with a bronze finish for an aesthetic and great looking appearance. It incorporates a non-stick porcelain grill grates that have a 418 square inch area, could fit out a variety of foods from chicken, burgers, hot dogs and even smoked ribs as needed.
Measuring about 42 x 22 x 49 inches, this griller includes a triangular smoke exhaust, four long legs with two attached wheels on two of the legs and a durable cover to be used to prevent smoke from escaping over.
For controls, the device includes a digital elite controller that is easily set with a rotating dial and an intuitive LED display into it. Nevertheless, you could use and manage it from 180 to 450-degree Fahrenheit temperature with a 20-degree interval into it. The interface also includes a simple flip and press power button to deal out on/off of the device as needed.
It’s easy to use upon loading hardwood pellets into the 18 lb capacity hopper and then, turning on the controls as needed. Electrically powered, these pellets will be used as fuel and readily ignites upon the push and blow of the induction fan. The smokes that will be produced are circulated around the barrel for which will be carried around with the dip tray. Lighting out could take a minimum of 5 minutes depending on the number of pellets to be used.
Key Features of the Traeger TFB42LZBC Grills Lil Tex Elite:
- Temperature Regulation and Control At the side interface beside the hopper, you’ll be able to locate the controls for use during the operation. It has an adjustable rotating knob to set out at temperatures from 180 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Aside from that, it has a red LED display to show what particular temperature it has. Also, it includes a smoke function and a shutdown cycle for flexible functions.
- Large Grilling Area You’ll be able to grill, smoke, or cook a lot of food into this device. It has a big grilling area about 418 square inches accommodating 16 burgers, 4 whole chickens, 24 hotdogs, and 4 racks of smoked ribs into one single grate. Nevertheless, the grill grates are non-stick and easily clean as needed.
- Well-Engineered Construction Built with powerful steel construction, this device is designed to ensure that things will be cooked or grilled intuitively. Its heavily bronze finished with a convenient hopper, a grill, an induction fan, and an exhaust with a cover on it for easy use of the device.
- Versatile Function Fueled with 100% hardwood pellets, this device could be used for multiple applications. Nevertheless, you could cook, grill, smoke or bake into this device. Also, it could be used for a variety of foods including a burger, meat, and barbecue.
Generally, this device works really great. Like said, it could be used for grilling and cooking different foods from meat, barbecues, burgers, and many more. You could also use it as an insulation device especially during winter or cold weather. Its durably made though it’s really heavy.
Though there are wheels into it, you’ll still be having a hard time upon moving it from one place or another. It has a simple setup that could be done for a minimum of 10 minutes. The temperature regulation and control is great for this device. There are few devices who enjoy this function. It totally helps a lot of users especially on adjusting as needed.
2. Traeger TFB29LZA Grills Junior Elite Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Simple Utilization
- Easy Cleaning
- Assembly is no Hassle
- Flexible Use
- Durable Design and Quality
- Adjustable Temperature Control
- Requires Frequent Maintenance
- A Bit Expensive
Measuring about 18 x 37 x 36 inches, this Traeger is a smaller version as compared to the wood pellet grill introduced formerly. Nevertheless, they have a similarly built bronze finished manufactured from high-quality steel incorporating a hopper, four long legs, a grilling area, and an exhaust on its design. Weighing over 60 pounds, this device includes a gold finished blanket or cover with an intuitive handle into it for easy open or close of the device.
Modernly built design, this device possesses a hopper capacity of 8 lbs which could last for about 8 hours of use. Beside the hopper, an integrated temperature adjust and control is located at 20 degrees Fahrenheit temperature interval from 180 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit as needed. Nevertheless, an easy to read LED display is located for easy temperature reading and a rotating knob for easy controls upon the device.
Aside from that, it incorporates a 300 square inch grilling area being able to hold a variety of foods including burgers, meat, and hotdogs. This pellet grill could be used with multiple functions such as smoke, bake, roast, braise, and its an excellent use for your barbecue.
Its porcelain grill is easy to clean and has a non-stick coating. You don’t have to spend more time on cleaning as needed. Thus, you’ll have to greater bonding moments with family or friends. It is recommended that you’ll use the 100% pure hardwood pellets that are intuitively advertised by Traegen for maximum use and fuel consumption.
Key Features of the Traeger TFB29LZA Grills Junior Elite Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- User-Friendly Controls Operating the device, you’ll have to use the Digital Elite Controller that is located on the side of the hopper. Nonetheless, it includes an adjustable rotating knob for accurate controls on the temperature from 180 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit with 20-degree temperature intervals into this.
- Aside from that, it incorporates an easy flip switch to turn on or off the device as needed. This auto-start ignition is used efficiently with a convenient function.
- Flexible Use Whether grilling, baking, smoking, or roasting, you could use this device. Nonetheless, this 6-in-1 device won’t settle for grilling matched with an absolute taste and food quality that is well-suited for cooking using a wood-fueled substance.
- Wide Sized Grilling AreaThis device has an intuitive 300 square inch grilling area for which is said to comfortably fit out various products including 12 burgers, 2 whole chickens, 18 hotdogs, or 3 racks of deliciously smoked grills into the device.
- Ease of CleaningCleaning is not a problem with this device. The porcelain grill grates are empowered with a non-stick surface for easy cleaning and use of this device. Thus, you’ll get relief out when grilling over a variety of foods and products as needed.
Similarly to the other Traegen smoke pellet grill mentioned above, this device is easy to use with simple setup into it. It has a convenient cleaning operation without requiring much effort. Since it’s smaller than the former, it’s expected that you’ll be able to pull or transfer it from one place to another easily.
Nonetheless, its built sturdily made from steel for longevity and consistency. However, few users felt like the device is a bit overpriced. Though, a 200 dollar difference in price with the two devices is quite reasonable for the quality you’ll be experiencing.
3. Traeger TFB65LZBC Grills Texas Elite 34 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Convenient Use and Assembly
- Adjustable Temperature Control
- 6-in-1 Cooking Functions
- 646 square inch grilling area
- Very Heavy
Dubbed as the number one selling wood pellet grill in the market, this device is a larger version than the two Traeger’s pellet grill previously introduced. It has a similar built and design with the two devices being featured. Nevertheless, it includes a hopper, an exhaust, a grilling area, four long legs with two wheels on it for stability and balance, and an adjustable temperature control for convenience and ease of use with the device.
Weighing about 150 pounds, this device is packaged with dimensions of 22 x 54 x 49 inches. This larger model incorporates an easy to glide wheels attached below the legs of the device to keep it mobile for portability and easy transport. The hopper has an 18 lb pellet capacity for which is sustainable for 18 hours of use with the device. This device is heavily bronze finished durably made from steel.
Controls are integrated beside the rectangular hopper. Governed with an easy to use interface, the Digital Elite Controller features a rotating dial with precise 20 degrees Fahrenheit temperature interval. It ranges from 180 to 450 degree Fahrenheit into the device with a red LED display for clear and easy temperature readings. Turning on and off the device could be used through the electric auto-ignition, just simply flip it over as needed.
Having a large grilling area, the device boasts out its 646 square inches area with easy to clean porcelain grill grates that have a non-stick surface for convenient use. Aside from that, this device features a 6-in-1 useful function from grilling, baking, smoking, roasting, barbecuing, and braising.
For the wood pellet fuel, it’s recommended that the device will use the Traeger’s hardwood pellets that are made from pure and virgin hardwood materials as needed. Nevertheless, it adds out the colorful taste upon use.
Key Features of the Traeger TFB65LZBC Grills Texas Elite Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Wheels for Portability Attached below the long legs, four wheels to make sure that you’ll be able to move the device around with minimal effort. Aside from that, the wheels include locking casters for reliability and secured attachment of the wheels to the device as needed.
- Wide Sized Grilling Area Incorporating a 646 square inch grilling area, this device caters a grilling party more than a family sized grilling experience. For a concrete comparison, you could grill out 24 burgers, 6 whole chickens, 32 hot dogs, and 9 racks of smoked ribs within a single grilling operation. Aside from that, you could add other desserts into its sidings to complete out the experience.
- Smart Control Technology Using the premiere Digital Elite Controller, you’ll assure that the device will be set into the right and accurate temperature. Consequently, it includes a 20 degree Fahrenheit interval rotating dial with a red LED display that shows the temperature that it reads upon. Aside from that, it includes an electronic auto-start ignition with a simple flip on/off switches to run over the device easily.
- Versatile Function Its six-in-one function is incredibly done. Whether you want to grill, roast, bake, smoke, barbecue, or braise, this device will do it masterly incorporating a powerful and savory taste through its wood-fired fuel.
Similarly to the other two previously introduced devices, this wood pellet griller has a simple 5-minute assembly and easy to use with the intuitive temperature control and power on/off switch. Even though it’s quite larger, its good that the manufacturer includes wheels below the device for easy transport of the device.
Aside from that, cleanup is simply done without requiring much effort. However, user complaints are only minor like dents upon delivery and missing screws for which is readily addressed by the manufacturer.
4. Traeger Grills Tailgater 20 Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Robust Material of Construction
- Easy Transport
- Simple to Use and Assembly
- Integrated Temperature Controls
- Versatile Use
- Poorly Written Instructions
- High Maintenance
Experience the versatility and savory tastes of Traeger’s another wood pellet grill. Nevertheless, this is a smaller model yet still has the similar design and build than the two previous models that are introduced. Like any other Traeger design, it incorporates a hopper, a grilling area, four long legs, and an exhaust as needed. Its bronze finished with a gold painted covering for which also includes a handle for easy opening or closing of the device.
Weighing about 62.4 pounds, this device measures about 18 x 37 x 36 inches mostly made from sturdy steel to ensure longevity and resistance to extreme heat or very high temperatures.
It’s easy to use with the integrated adjustable temperature control that incorporates a rotating dial with a 20 degree Fahrenheit temperature interval into it indicated from 180 to 450 degrees as needed. Aside from that, it includes an auto-start ignition that is simply pressed upon to turn on or off the device as needed.
This Tailgater design accommodates a 300 square inch grilling area. Like any other Traeger’s design, its grilling grates are porcelain with a non-stick surface for easy cleaning of the device. Additionally, it has EZ fold legs with wheels into it to enhance the portable function, folding it out easily for pack up camping wood grilling.
Furthermore, it induces with its six in one cooking function used for the grill, smoke, barbecue, roast, braise, and bake as needed. Other than that, the device has a specialized wood pellet to fire out the 8 lb hopper capacity of this device.
Key Features of the Tailgater Portable Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Enhanced Portability Not just the device is lightweight, it’s also highly mobile with its ready to fold EZ legs. Aside from that, there are additional wheels attached below each base for a complete mobile option. Thus, you’ll be ready for the wood-fired grilling experience at any convenient place as needed.
- Multi-Purpose Cooking Function This device does everything. It’s modernly built with a variety of cooking options from grilling, smoking, barbecuing, roasting, braising, or baking. Consequently, you could even do multiple things in a single use of the device.
- Intuitive Grilling Grates Encompassing a 300 square inch area, these grates are porcelain made with a non-stick surface coating with an easy to clean function. Nonetheless, you could cook or bake anything with less cleaning. Thus, you’ll have to spend a lot of time with family or friends.
- Innovated Controls and Mechanism This device comes with the Digital Elite Controller to set and adjust on temperature as needed. It includes a 20 degree Fahrenheit temperature precise interval with a 180 to 250 degree Fahrenheit range. Everything is set readily through a rotating knob with an easy to read LED display for clear and intuitive use.
A smaller and portable Traeger pellet griller that you could have at a convenient price. Similarly to the other devices, its made sturdily with an easy installation and use. The foldable legs are intuitive for easy transfer, especially when doing camping or beach party as needed.
The adjustable temperature control and regulation are quite intuitive. It allows you to choose out whatever temperature you’ll use when cooking. But nonetheless, complaints are more on maintenance. Nonetheless, the customer is eager and responsive so you will never have a problem with this feature.
Also, there are few users who have quoted over weak manual instructions incorporated in the package. Good thing, that everything is readily searched now on the internet to aid you out during using the device.
5. Traeger TFB29PLB Grills Bronson 20 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Sturdy Design and Material Quality
- Easy to Use and Assembly
- Versatile Cooking Function
- Adjustable Temperature Control
- High Maintenance
Another Traeger’s best wood pellet grill and smoker for which has a similar built and design as the other devices introduced. It’s a bit smaller with an improved portability features for easy use and function. Weighing about 77 pounds, this device works efficiently with a versatile use from grilling, smoke, baking, roasting, braising, and barbecuing.
Having dimensions of 22 x 35 x 38 inches, this device is black finished built mainly from durable steel. It features a 10 lb hopper capacity, four standing sawhorse designed legs, a cover with a handle into it, and a digital temperature monitoring and controller as needed. Its wheels are highly terrain with added side handles for easy transport even on gravel or rock based surfaces.
Its modernly built with an integrated digital elite controller having easy adjust temperature functions through its rotating dial. Nevertheless, it has a 20-degree precision temperature interval exhibiting range from 180 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit respectively.
Aside from that, it includes a LED display to read things out easily. Along with this interface, includes an auto-start ignition for an easy flip use for turning on/off the device.
Key Features of the Traeger TFB29PLB Grills Bronson Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- Improved Mobility Design This device is innovated with a sawhorse-like design to improve balance and stability of the device. Nevertheless, its attached with all-terrain wheels and an added side handle for easy movement on rocky surfaces as needed. Its wheels are built sturdily and are made to last.
- Intelligently Controlled Technology Empowered with an integrated digital elite controller, this device is made with easy to use temperature adjustment interface ranging from 180 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Consequently, this innovation is controlled through a rotating dial with a precise 20 degree Fahrenheit adjustments.
- Great Design and Material Quality Readily black finished, this device is quite lightweight made mainly from steel material. Its mainly designed to cater convenience to its users with its flexible cooking function as needed.
As other Traeger’s devices, this wood pellet griller is built sturdily with easy to assemble and utilization function into it. Likewise, its easy to clean with a smaller grilling area capacity as compared to the previous models introduced. As to its function, it cooks out well food with varying uses as needed.
The temperature control is just similar to the latter designs. Perhaps, the only difference is the color and the terrain wheels with the sawhorse leg design which adds out stability and durability of the device.
Other than that, complaints with users are mostly addressed during maintenance. There are few users who experience malfunctions after utilization one or two times of the device. Nevertheless, this device is still great and efficient for long-term use.
Why These 5 Are The Best Traeger Grill And Smoker?
As Traeger’s named to be the best pellet grill and smoker in the USA, it will definitely bring durability and finest quality that you’ll ever experience. It has upgraded temperature adjustments and controls that you could never find into other devices. Nonetheless, you don’t have to spend a lot of time and energy just to make a fire.
With the use of this technology, you’ll be able to build fire without any hassle in a less spent time. Given a flexible use, you’ll not just be able to grill but do things intuitively with the use of this device. And lastly, all Traeger brands have positive reviews and ratings in Amazon for which makes it more reliable and effective.
How to Choose the Best Pellet Smoker?
Pellet smokers are known to produce rich tasting and flavorful food. Pellet smokers are also known to be extremely convenient and easy to use. There are a lot of brands and models of pellet smokers in the market with a wide range of features.
Convenience, better control, durable, long lasting and of course a great food flavor are just some of things you need to look for in the best pellet smoker. Here are most of the factors you need to consider before choosing the best pellet smoker for the best backyard smoking experience.
1. Pellet Delivery
Wood pellets are stored in the hopper. From the hopper pellets fall into the auger tube then goes into the combustion chamber. The temperature inside the pellet smoker as shown in the digital controller lets the auger know how much wood pellet to feed the combustion chamber.
More pellets fed to the combustion chamber will create less smoke and higher heat. Fewer pellets fed to the combustion chamber will create more smoke and lower heat. Given these conditions, the pellet delivery system should have these features:
- The tip of the auger tube should have enough clearance from the fire box so fire will not hit the hopper where unused wood pellets are stored.
- The tube and auger should be of the right size to prevent jamming.
- The hopper should be large enough to hold needed wood pellets.
- The hopper should be protected so it will remain always dry regardless of the weather.
- It should be easy to load wood pellets to the hopper. The hopper should be easy to clean, too.
2. Type of Controller
The control mechanism of a pellet smoker is responsible for churning up the best tasting food with precision. Look for a pellet smoker with a digital controller. The digital controller of the pellet smoker you choose should be reliable and accurate because the digital controller dictates the entire operations of the pellet smoke.
Digital controllers could either be One-touch, 3-position controllers, PID (proportional–integral–derivative) multi position and Non-PID. PID controllers take note of the goings on inside the smoker and maintain the temperature to within 50 of your set temperature. With PID controllers it is as if you have an auto pilot cooking your food.
Some digital controllers come with WiFi features so you can control the pellet smoker from your smartphone from anywhere. It is also best to choose a pellet smoker with a temperature probe (monitoring temperature inside the pellet smoker) and a food probe (for monitoring internal temperature of the meat). There are pellet smokers with temperature controls that can accommodate up to three probes, one for the smoker and two meat probes.
3. Combustion System
The combustion system of a pellet smoker consists of the igniter and the fire box. The igniter rod is similar to a car lighter. The tip of the igniter rod is initially red hot and shuts of the heat is sensed by the controller. The fire box is a can with ventilation holes.
Look for pellet smokers made from thick metal or stainless steel. Make sure too that the igniter are easy to replace when they burn out.
4. Temperature Range
Before shopping for a pellet smoker have an idea of what kind of food you want to cook. Most pellet smokers have temperature ranges between 1800 F and 4250 F which is ideal for smoking, roasting, grilling and baking. If you intend to sear in your pellet smoker choose one that can reach a temperature of 5000F to 5500F.
Pellet smokers need to have an accurate temperature to ensure that you are always cooking at the right temperatures.
5. Cooking Surface
The sizes of pellet smokers range from the really big ones for commercial use to the portable ones for tailgating. Choose the size that is right for how you intend to use your smoker. Whether you smoke meat just for your family or you are fond of entertaining guests there is a pellet smoker size that is right for you.
6. Design and Construction
Pellet smokers with an all stainless steel construction are almost corrosion-free. Most manufacturers use powder-coated or painted stainless steel. Some pellet smokers have enamel-like coatings. For longevity, stainless steel fire boxes and grill grates are the best option. Grill grates made from iron coated with porcelain is a good second choice.
If you want a pellet smoker that comes with a lot of extra features, might as well look out for these:
- Meat probes that can be programmed
- Controllers with meat probes
- Options for direct grilling
- WiFi capabilities
- Auxiliary cooking racks
The most important features you need to look out for are an automatic auger control and electric start-up. These features will make the pellet smoker a lot easier to use.
8. Ease in Cleaning
Appliance cleaning is always a hassle. To make cleaning easier look for these features in the pellet smoker:
- Easy to access grease and ash pans
- Easy to access hopper
- Removable or easy to access fire box
Although the product guarantee will not make or break a product it always feels good to know how confident the manufacturer is of the product. Most pellet smokers come with a 10-year guarantee.
Price is always a main consideration in everything you buy. Everyone likes to save money without realizing that a cheap and low quality pellet smoker will end up being more expensive in the long run. Choose one that is a cross between good quality and affordability.
All Traeger’s pellet grill and smoker devices accommodate different market of users. As you’ve noticed, the only differences taken note with the given devices are either on the grilling area or the portability function. The largest grilling area for which is the Texas Elite 34 is intended for large-based gatherings and parties.
Likewise, the Tailgater 20 is for campers as a portable option. Thus, a careful evaluation should be taken on what particular model you will buy depending on its purpose and necessity.