There are not many of the pleasures to be able to grill your food on camping! The real joy lies in getting the taste of grilled food just like it was in your home. This mesmerizing experience turns your camping trip into some of the great memories of your life! In order to get the old flavors of your home to your camping site, you need to get the best camping grill with you. It is much important to get the best portable camping grill so that you could get the best out of your meals.
Many of the camping lovers mix up the properties of a camping grill and camping stove but these two are entirely different appliances.
- Camping Stove: The camping stoves need some of the other cook wears as well to cook your food such as a pot or a pan. It helps you to prepare your food directly on flames such as scrambled eggs, bacon, beans or pancakes.
- Camping Grill: Camping grill allows you to place your food right on the top of the griddle or grate and grill it on fire. You can grill food such as steak, hot dogs and veggies as well.
To prepare your food perfectly, you need to choose wisely among camping grills available as all products differ in quality. We have made a list of the best portable grill that will guide you about every grill’s features. This article will also guide you about what you should look for when buying a camping grill and what you should not!
What to Look for When Buying Best Camping Grill
Click to jump straight to each topic:
- What to Look for When Buying Best Camping Grill
- The 4 Best Camping Gas Grills In 2020
- 1. Coleman Propane Grill | RoadTrip LXE Portable Gas Grill
- 2. Weber 51060001 Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill
- 3. Cuisinart CGG-180T Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill, Red
- 4. Blackstone Table Top Grill – 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle
- The 3 Best Camping Charcoal Grills In 2019
- 1. Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
- 2. Cuisinart CCG-100 GrateLifter Portable Charcoal Grill
- 3. Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman’s Grill. Large Charcoal Hibachi-Style Grill
- The 2 Best Wood Burning Camping Grill In 2019
- 1. BioLite Basecamp Wood Burning Stove
- 2. Cook-Air EP-3620BK Wood Fired Portable Grill
- Wrapping it Up!
Camping grills come with many variations such as fuel sources, sizes and shapes. It completely depends upon your needs and requirements which appliance suits you.
The following are some of the key points which you need to consider when going to buy the best camping grill for you!
- Compactness or Ease of Transportation
- Temperature Control
- Design & Features
- Durability & Construction
- Accessories & Bonuses
- For Gas Grills
- of Burners
Compactness or Ease of Transportation
The compactness is the feature of any product which makes it ideal for use. If you are fond of camping then you would know that a camping grill which is very easy to fold works great. Camping grills that are most loved are those which fit into very small places. However, they are not perfectly suitable for a large group of people.
The camping grills which have square shape are the most suitable ones as they can be easily placed on the roof and slide into your trunk!
The size of a camping grill is very important as it makes this product perfectly fine according to your requirements. If you would choose the wrong size of a portable camping grill then it could be difficult for you to make it useful.
Choose the right size of the grill by examining the number of people you camp with usually. A camping grill suitable for 4 people will not do the needed for a group of 10 people. The more the size would be of a camping grill, the more food can be cooked on it!
Temperature control is the feature of a camping grill upon which the pleasure of the food depends. Your camping mates would not much food slightly charred but they would not like burnt or raw food!
Points needed to be considered
- Always buy Grills with Dials to Monitor & Control Temperature otherwise buy a Separate Thermometer
- Buy one that has Vents on Top and Bottom
Design & Features
When it comes to buying a convenient and space-saving camping grill, the design and features come first. The design of a camping grill also affects how well you will be able to cook. Some of the grills have a snug-fitting lid which enables you to roast or smoke your food low and also to grill.
Consider the following points before buying
- Grills made from Cast Iron, Stainless Steel, Aluminum are suitable ones
- Choose grills with a side table and legs
Durability & Construction
The durability is the feature that decides how many times you would be able to use a product. Besides considering other factors you should not go for a camping grill which is not durable and strong enough to let you cook more than 3 times!
Always choose a camping grill by considering the following points
- Without Sharp or Unfinished Edges
- Grills with cast iron are durable but can be rusted
- Aluminum made grills are not heavy and are not likely to be rusted
- Push it from every side and examine how strong it is
Accessories & Bonuses
Everyone likes perks! It’s time to admit that we all like product which has some extra and useful offers. When it comes to buying a camping grill, there are many companies that offer something extra with grills such as a carrying bag for camping grill.
For Gas Grills
Portable camping grill can only use one of two types of LPG gas such as
Both of these gases are filtered, treated and packed into the portable cylinders. Portable camping grills use these cylinders. Most of the portable camping cylinders use propane gas.
If you want to buy a camping gas grill then you need to look for the following points before buying
- No. of Burners
BTUs stands for British Thermal Units and it is referred to the amount of heat a grill can produce. Most of the people think that a grill with high number of BTUs would help them to prepare dainty food but that is not true at all.
You should look for 80-100BTUs per square inch of the cooking space. Examine the usable cooking area and compare it to BTUs. This would give you a clear idea of how much heat your grill can produce. Remember that grill with high capacity of heat production must be made of high quality material.
No. of Burners
The more number of burners your grill would have the more food items you would be able to cook with ultimate perfection. Two, three or four burners allow you to provide even heat to your food and also to cook more than 1 food item with different heat levels at the same time. If your grill has side burners then it would be a plus as it will allow you to warm up your food.
Grills with 1 or 2 burners are also fine if you want a grill for camping as more number of burners will increase the size of the grill.
You should definitely look for a grill which has easy lightening system. There are many options available such as lightening the grill with the push of a button or a dial.
The 4 Best Camping Gas Grills In 2020
1. Coleman Propane Grill | RoadTrip LXE Portable Gas Grill
Best Propane Grill for Camping: This masterpiece by Coleman is loved by the majority of the camping lovers. This is a versatile grill with comprehensive assembly options that will allow you to cook the food in no time.
Coleman road trip lxe best camping grill offers to heat up to 20,000 BTUs and is suitable for a party of 3 to 4 people. It measures 32 x 35 x 19 inches and weighs 44 pounds. This camping grill can easily get fit into your car as it has the capability to slide in with its compact and flat design. It comes with the option InstaStartMatches so it does not need to be lit up by a match, making it completely safe for family
It is the best portable camping grill with its folding legs and handy wheels that makes it easy for you to carry it anywhere you want. However, if you want to buy a gas grill for a larger family from the same manufacturer then go for Coleman RoadTrip 285 Propane.
- Compact & Flat
- Collapsible & Wheeled
- Has Folding Legs
- Offers More Cooking Area with Side Trays
- Limited Warranty for 3 Years
- 4 Ounce Propane Cylinder
- Has no Thermometer
- No Carry Handle
2. Weber 51060001 Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill
The best portable gas grill: Q1200 Liquid Propane Gas Grill is one of the finest grill made by the company Weber. This porcelain coated gas grill won the award and has everything you wish for!
This girl from Weber has many options that make your cooking experience the most pleasurable such as lighting up with just 1 push of a button and control burner valve. It also has a primary cooking space of 189 inches square which enables you to carry your sauces and spices easily. It measures 20.5 x 40.9 x 24.6 inches and weighs 29.1 pounds.
Is has the capacity to offer heat up to 8500 BTUs/ hour to heat 189 square inches cooking area. It lets you control the heat and makes it easy to cook food evenly.
- Built-in Thermometer
- Stainless Steel Burners
- Porcelain-Enameled, Cast Iron Cooking Grates
- Infinite Burner Control Valve
- Instant Electronic Ignition
- Completely Assembled Out of the Box
- Body and Lid made of Cast Aluminum
- Removable Catch Pan
- 2 Years Warranty
- Ideal for 2-3 People
- Quite heavy
- Has no legs
3. Cuisinart CGG-180T Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill, Red
The best portable camping gas grill: If you are a lover of compact and easy to carry camping grill then this masterpiece by Cuisinart is the best choice for you. The Cuisinart CGG180 is easy to carry, assemble, operate, and clean! You can carry it anywhere you go from beaches to any picnic sites or tailgating parties. It has 5,500 BTUs stainless steel burners and also the porcelain-enameled heating grate which cooks food evenly.
It has the ultimate efficiency level with 145 square inches of heating space which does not waste any of the heat and cooks the food evenly. It measures 16 x 16.5 x 13 inches and weighs 2.2 pounds. It is suitable for up to 6 people at one time. It is capable to cook 8 burgers, 8 to 10 chicken breasts, 8 steaks or even 4 pounds fish.
- Light Weight
- Easy to Move, Operate & Clean
- Can be set-up/used as a tabletop and also a standing grill
- Briefcase style carrying handle
- Integrated lid locks for the security of lid
- Some customers complained about the plastic handle melting
4. Blackstone Table Top Grill – 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle
The best mini gas grill: Griddle is another way to prepare your food while camping and Blackstone Grill and Griddle is best for this purpose. It is the best grill for outdoor cooking such as tailgating, camping, hunting or picnic.
It offers you 260 square inches of heavy duty and durable cooking area. It comes with stainless steel “H” burner that makes sure the surface heats up fast and given even heat to your food. Offers up to 12000 BTUs of heat output. It measures 17.5 x 18 x 8.5 inches and weighs 21 pounds.
- Table Top Design
- Easy to Move, Operate and Clean
- Grease Catcher
- Electric Ignition
- 1-Zone Heating Control
- Portable Design
- 1 H-Shaped Stainless Steel Burner
- Some Customers Complained about Burners not Lighting Up After Long Time Usage
The 3 Best Camping Charcoal Grills In 2019
1. Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
The best portable charcoal grill: This product tops in the list of charcoal grill when its comes to quality, durability and everything you need. Weber offers this charcoal grill in most comfortable and compact design that it can be stored in any place while traveling.
This grill can hold up to 6 burgers made with the Weber burger press. This features lid locks for simple and easy carrying. Moreover, dampers are available which enables you to control the temperature in the grill. It measures 12.2 x 21 x 14.5 inches and weighs 14 pounds.
Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill has 160 square inches cooking area. It also has a plated steel cooking grate which is durable and retains the heat.
- Truck and Carry Lid Lock
- Plated Steel Cooking Grate
- Plated Steel Legs
- Weather Proof
- Foldable Legs
- Ideal for Small Gatherings
- 10 Years Warranty (varies for different parts)
- It’s Quite Heavy
2. Cuisinart CCG-100 GrateLifter Portable Charcoal Grill
The best charcoal camping grill: Cuisinart presents its one of the finest charcoal grills with exclusive life system to access the charcoal bed without touching the grate. This grill is ultra-portable allowing you to take it anywhere you want.
It features the precision air flow system that allows you to manage the temperature accurately. It also has a lid-mounted and convenient temperature gauge. This camping grill has 240 square inches of cooking area with a heavy duty porcelain coated cover. It measures 17.7 x 18.5 x 15.4 inches and weighs 2.2 pounds.
- Heat Resistant & 201 Stainless Steel Handles
- Has Table Stand
- Ash Collection Bin
- Cast Iron Cooking Grate
- One-Piece Welded Grill Base
- Light Weight
- Easy to Move and Clean
- Features Grill Lift System
- Dual Vents
- 3-Year Warranty
- Pins on the Grate Lift System Needs to be Tighten Sometimes
- Side Tables Needed to be Purchased Separately
3. Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman’s Grill. Large Charcoal Hibachi-Style Grill
The best charcoal grill: This hibachi style, cast-iron sportsman’s grills is the ideal grill for camping, picnics, tailgating and patio. It has a drafting door that regulates the heat. It comes with ease of access due to its flip down door that makes it easy to access the coals. It measures 19 x 8.2 x 10.2 inches and weighs 27 pounds.
This grill comes with 2 adjustable heights. It is seasoned and very easy to use. This camping charcoal grill is made with pure vegetable oil and no other chemicals or synthetic coatings!
- Made with 100% Vegetable oil
- No Chemical or Synthetic Coatings Added!
- Seasoned and Portable
- Has Superior Heat Retention
- Versatile in Size
- Comes with an Attached Handle
- Made in USA
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- No Lid
The 2 Best Wood Burning Camping Grill In 2019
1. BioLite Basecamp Wood Burning Stove
The best wood burning camping grill: This camping grill comes with 138 square inches of cooking area which can fit up to 8 burgers. It features 5 Watts @5V USB port to charge any device. It has been integrated with 2200mAh lithium ion battery that stores the energy to be used later even without the fire.
It comes with smart LED dashboard which makes it super easy to monitor the power generation and battery percentage. Just light up your meal and let your devices charge at the same timings. Its dimensions are 21.1 x 13.2 x 23 inches and weighs 17.99 pounds.
- Comes with BioLite Base Camp, Fuel Rack, Ash Tray, Fire Starters, Gooseneck USB Light, and Instruction Manual.
- Smokeless Flames
- Features Side Fuel Entry
- Flex Light with USB Power Included
- Option to Switch from Cooking to Boiling
- 1 Year Limited Warranty
- Battery may need to Change Every Year
2. Cook-Air EP-3620BK Wood Fired Portable Grill
The best wood burning grill: This camping grill is one of the best portable wood burning grills as it comes pre-assembled. It is very easy to move it around. It’s equivalent to 65000BTUs and reaches a temperature of 1100 in just less than 5 minutes.
This camping grill enables you to cook your food in just 5 minutes with its 14 inches cooking grid and the blower system. It measures 15 x 15 x 17 inches and weighs 21 pounds.
- Comes with an AC Plug & 12 V Car Adaptor
- Cool Grill Base
- Uses hardwood as Combustible
- Can take 3 larger Porterhouse Steaks at a time
- Environment friendly
- 1 Year Limited Warranty
- Can be rusted after sometime
Wrapping it Up!
Finding the best camping grill would definitely take some homework from you. First, you need to decide what your requirements are and what your budget is. Then you can buy the right camping grill for you.